Everyone working in the Varian Physics building is required to complete at least the following online training:
- General Safety & Emergency Preparedness (EHS-4200)
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics (EHS-3400)
- COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices (EHS-2470)
Failure to complete such training by Dec 1, 2021, or a month after your date of hire will result in the loss of access to the building. This applies to everyone: Faculty, Staff, Postdocs, Graduate Students.
Lab Specific Training
In addition, all physics graduate student are required to take:
Also in this case, failure to complete such training by Dec 1, 2021, or, in the future, a month after your date of hire will result in the loss of access to the building.
Other scientific and technical personnel (specifically postdocs) may be required to also take EHS-1900 and EHS-2200 at the discretion of their PIs who are responsible for maintaining a safe environment in their labs.
Other Safety Training
EH&S offers a broad set of online training modules listed at https://ehs.stanford.edu/training. PIs, who, again, are responsible for safety in their labs, determine what other training is appropriate for the personnel of their labs. Common options in Physics are:
- Laser Safety (EHS-PROG-4820)
- Cryogenic Liquids (EHS-2480)
- Confined Space Awareness (EHS-2450)
- Ladder Safety (EHS-4810)
- Machine and Power Tool Safety (EHS-5000)
- Radiation Safety (EHS-5250, 5251, 5265, 5275)
Of general interest are also:
- Fire Extinguisher (EHS-3700 and 3825)
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) (EHS-1300)
- CPR + AED (EHS-1305)
- Safe Lifting Practices (EHS-1400)
Note that some of these modules can only be taken in person.
Each lab is also required to have lab-specific safety notes/training prepared by the PI. The safety notes should include a list of safety training required for the lab (or some specific members of the lab). The safety notes from various labs are to be uploaded to BioRAFT. Training of the building staff that is not part of research groups is the responsibility of the Academic Operation Manager.